Our thinking is very important, it is the one thing that starts everything else in motion. All of words, actions, behaviors, beliefs, and even future thinking, is largely determined by our current thinking.
I promised in our last blog to give you some tips on changing our thinking and I will do that, but first let me help you understand a little more about the complexity and significance of our thoughts. The average person has between…50,000 and 60,000 thoughts per day, and 95% of those are the same ones they had the day before!
“Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition will one day become reality”. Once we “consciously choose” to tell our subconscious that something is truth, it immediately goes to work to live out that command. Our subconscious does not first decide if what we told it is truth. It also does not know right from wrong, it just accepts whatever we tell it, which is a very strong clue to the danger of wrong thinking. Once we pass off our beliefs to our subconscious, most times unknowingly, it works 24/7 looking for evidence to show us that what we believe is correct, or true, even if it isn’t.
So, I hope that it is becoming clearer that a big reason for what is currently happening in our lives, good or bad, is directly related to our current thinking. And our future, whatever we would like it to look like, is dependent on our thinking. If your life is perfect, don’t change any of your thoughts, but if you would like more success in some area, your thinking is the place to start.
Here are some steps to help with changing your thinking, and in turn change your life. And just so you know, every time your life improves, it positively effects all the lives attached to yours.
- Be more aware of your current thoughts and how those thoughts are impacting your present life, and your future.
- Take every thought captive. You are the police officer charged with standing guard over all of your thoughts. No other person can do this important task for you. Be especially focused on the things you think about “all” the time, they are the thoughts that really impact your future.
- Listen to the words you speak, they are very helpful clues to understand your beliefs, and the thinking that caused them. If you want to know what is in the heart of a person just listen to them, out of the heart, the mouth speaks. Listening to our own words, and the emotion behind them, can reveal a lot about ourselves. If you don’t believe this, have a person video you during a conversation while you are discussing something that you are passionate about, and then watch yourself.
- Speak to yourself. I intentionally told you to listen to the words that you speak, before, I mentioned choosing the words that you speak. It is very valuable to always listen to ourselves, but it is also extremely important to choose the words that we speak. Words have tremendous power in the lives of others, but they can also be crucial in transforming our own lives. “Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition will one day become reality”. Identify any thing you wish to change in your thinking, and then speak to yourself about it. Tell yourself over and over, until your subconscious accepts your “new” thinking as truth.
- You rarely achieve more than you can picture in your mind. The vision and beliefs that you have of yourself are directly related to your thinking. Establishing clear vision for yourself, and keeping it before you, can go a long way to help change your thinking, or even reinforce correct thinking.
- Ask for help. Find an accountability partner and ask them to help you on this important journey. Ask them to listen to your words, and remind you whenever your words or actions, are not in agreement with the thinking that you desire. Spouses can be great accountability partners, but so can other family members, friends, or coworkers. You might also consider a mentor or a coach to help you with changing your thinking.
Be careful of your thoughts, they are writing your future!
One thought on “Change Your Life? Change Your Thinking!”
Thanks for the encouragement Hank! God has given you a gift to lift up encourage those around you. Keep spreading it!
Comments are closed.